Wednesday, November 5, 2008

What have I done?

I've raised a republican......I'm sorry, maybe he'll change his mind before he's old enough to vote.

This morning, I thought it would be smart to tell Max, my 2.5 year old, that "Obama will be the new president".  Of course I didn't think that Max would care or understand in the least bit. 

I asked, "Who is our president, Max?"

"JOHN MCCAIN!!!!"  he replied to my dismay.  Maybe he saw the terror in my face, maybe he has been coached by grandparents, maybe he learned these vulgarities at Mother's Day Out at Central Baptist.  Whatever the reason, he started to chant, "John MCCAIN IS PREVISANZ over and over."

He was so loud that I looked around the kitchen half expecting to see a disapproving crowd shaking their heads in disgust.

"No, Max, Barack Obama will be president", I tried to reinforce calmly.

"No!  John MCCAAAAAAAAIIIIIINNNNN,"  he was pretty mad by now.

"Max, I'm sorry, Obama is gonna be president,"  I remained cool.

"NOOOOOOO!  JOHNNNNNN MCCAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIINNNNNN," louder than before and with evidence of upcoming tears.

I let off.

We had the same discussion when Mom got home; Max remains an unabashed McCain supporter.

I could make a few analogies to "neo-cons" or "consersative Christians" about empty fact-less, emotional, pro-conservative arguments, but I won't because that would be cheap.  

I was under the impression that Obama's appeal was universal, spanning all ages, races, faiths, and both sexes, but I'm sorry to report that these initial results indicate that McCain has soundly defeated Obama in the 2 to 3 year old demographic.

No comments:

My Blog List